Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum & Gift Shop

LIGHTHOUSE FACTS

The Montauk Historical Society owns and maintains the Montauk Point Lighthouse. The society's continuing efforts to preserve this historic monument and its history are only made possible by continuing generous contributions to the Lighthouse Fund.

  • National Historic Landmark in recognition
    of the significant role played by the lighthouse in American maritime history.

  • Authorized by the Second Congress in 1792, under President George Washington

  • Construction began on June 7, 1796 and was completed on November 5, 1796

  • First lighthouse in New York State

  • Fourth oldest active lighthouse in the United States

  • Foundation is 13'deep and 9' thick

  • Constructed of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, 8" high and varying in length from 18" high to 44"

  • The walls are 6' thick at the base tapering to 3' thick at the top

  • The height of the tower is 110' 6"

  • There are 137 iron steps to the top of the tower

  • The light flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen a distance of 19 nautical miles


HOME  |  GIFT SHOP  |  PICTURES  |  EVENTS  |  WEDDING  |  TOURS  |  MUSEUM  |  HOURS  
LIGHTOUSE FACTS  |  EROSION CONTROL  | 
TOWER RESTORATION  |   LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER  
  HISTORICAL SOCIETY  |  ANNUAL REPORT  |  PRIVACY  |  LINKS  |  CONTACT
 
WELCOME
Spanish Language TranslationFrench Language TranslationGerman Language TranslationJapanese Language Translation
HOME
GIFT SHOP
PICTURES
EVENTS
WEDDINGS
TOURS
MUSEUM
HOURS &
ADMISSION
DIRECTIONS
LIGHTHOUSE
FACTS
EROSION
CONTROL
TOWER
RESTORATION
LIGHTHOUSE
KEEPER
LIGHTHOUSE
"BRICKS"
VIDEOS
GUESTBOOK
MONTAUK
HISTORICAL
SOCIETY
THE BEACON
ANNUAL
REPORT
FINANCIALS
PRIVACY
POLICY
LINKS
CONTACT
Copyright © 2007 Montauk-Online.com. All Rights Reserved.