Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum & Gift Shop

MUSEUM
Museum Exhibit Floorplan


The museum which is located in the 1860 Keepers' house, displays an assortment of many historical documents, and photographs.

This year's Lighthouse Museum photography exhibit is by local photographer Ralph Pugliese Jr. Ralph lives in Cutchogue, NY. His photographs calendars gift cards and postcards all capture the seasonal beauty of special locations all over long Island. www.ralphjr.com. The works are located in the north and south hallways of the Lighthouse Museum.

The Museum Parlor features a new case displaying two original documents. One is signed by Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson. It is the Congressional authorization, approved by President George Washington, to construct a lighthouse at Montauk Point. The second is signed by President George Washington. It authorizes the federal purchase of land from the Montauk Proprietors for the purpose of building a lighthouse at Montauk Point.

The Gilmartin Galleries is home to an exhibit of whaling industry artifacts from the 19th century. The artifacts were also used in one of the last whale hunts conducted from shore in Wainscott in 1907.



  1. ENTRANCE [ top ]

  2. PARLOR [ top ]
  3. On display in the keepers' parlor are Montauk Point Lighthouse drawings and photographs from 1791 to 1939.
  4. ORIGINALLY LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER'S BEDROOM [ top ]
  5. This room served as the Head Keeper's bedroom from 1860 to 1947. Today it is used to display four models of the Montauk Point Lighthouse and its terrain. They depict the structural changes that occurred between 1796 and 1943. They also show the devastating effects of erosion on the bluff known as Turtle Hill. This room has been dedicated in honor of Giorgina Reid. Mrs. Reid initiated the "Erosion Control" program at the Lighthouse in 1970. Driving from Jackson Heights, N.Y. each week for more than twenty years, Giorgina and Donald Reid successfully fought off erosion with her patented method of reed-trench terracing.

    SOUTH BASEMENT ENTRANCE / VIDEO ROOM [ top ]

    Located beneath sections 2 & 3, this section of the dwelling served as a central kitchen and dining area for the keepers and their families. In 1892, an additional kitchen was built in the north basement for the two assistant keepers. The head keeper continued to use the south basement kitchen until it was transformed into a recreation room in 1943. The video "The Montauk Lighthouse, Sentinel of Long Island" can be viewed here throughout the day.
  6. CENTRAL HALLWAY [ top ]
  7. The central hallway first built in 1860 and later enlarged, connects the Keepers' Dwelling to the oil room and tower. On display is a one-of-a-kind museum exhibit, "Lighthouses Surrounding Long Island". The model 15' long and 4' wide, depicts 28 light stations from Manhattan to Point Judith, Rhode Island.
  8. COMMUNICATIONS ROOM [ top ]
  9. This was the communication center for the lighthouse where weather and radio beacon signals were transmitted. Emergency distress calls were received and rescue units were,notified from here. Presently the new lighthouse keeper's room.
  10. OIL ROOM [ top ]
  11. Once used to store cisterns of oil and supplies for the lighthouse, this room is the location of the only entrance and exit to the tower. On display is the original 3 1/2 Order Fresnel Bivalve Lens. The lens was placed into service in 1903 and removed on February 3, 1987.
  12. THE TOWER [ top ]
  13. A spiral staircase climbs 86' to the watch deck where visitors may view the new light in the lantern room.
  14. ORIGINALLY 2nd ASSISTANT'S BEDROOM [ top ]
  15. ORIGINALLY 1st ASSISTANT'S BEDROOM [ top ]
  16. Once the bedrooms for the assistant keepers and the site of the former museum gift shop, this area is now a four room exhibit "Where Land Meets Sea & Sky: Exploring Montauk History through the Richard T. Gilmartin Galleries". The lighthouse gift shop and visitor center is now located at the bottom of the hill at the property entrance.
  17. EXIT [ top ]

 


HOME  |  GIFT SHOP  |  PICTURES  |  EVENTS  |  WEDDING  |  TOURS  |  MUSEUM  |  HOURS  
LIGHTOUSE FACTS  |  EROSION CONTROL  | 
TOWER RESTORATION  |   LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER  
  HISTORICAL SOCIETY  |  ANNUAL REPORT  |  PRIVACY  |  LINKS  |  CONTACT
 
WELCOME
Spanish Language TranslationFrench Language TranslationGerman Language TranslationJapanese Language Translation
HOME
GIFT SHOP
PICTURES
EVENTS
WEDDINGS
TOURS
MUSEUM
HOURS &
ADMISSION
DIRECTIONS
LIGHTHOUSE
FACTS
EROSION
CONTROL
TOWER
RESTORATION
LIGHTHOUSE
KEEPER
LIGHTHOUSE
"BRICKS"
VIDEOS
GUESTBOOK
MONTAUK
HISTORICAL
SOCIETY
THE BEACON
ANNUAL
REPORT
FINANCIALS
PRIVACY
POLICY
LINKS
CONTACT
Copyright © 2007 Montauk-Online.com. All Rights Reserved.